Current Volunteer Opportunities
Note: All volunteers must be at least 18 years of age and complete a volunteer application, background screening, orientation and training prior to beginning service.
Virtual GED Tutoring - Learn More!
LSW is excited to now be offering GED tutoring at the Milwaukee County Jail (MCJ)! We have had a wonderful group of volunteers help us pilot the program this fall and are looking for additional volunteers to help in 2023.
The GED helps non-traditional students earn a high school credential and consists of 4 standardized tests in the subjects of Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies. Volunteer tutors in this program will work with students virtually to build the knowledge necessary to pass each test. Preference will be given for tutors willing to help with more than one subject.
LSW believes in the importance of equitable access to education and is excited to partner with volunteers and MCJ to help provide transformational opportunities for every student in our service area.
If you are interested in helping provide services in the Milwaukee County Jail, please send an email including your phone number to Madison at Madison@literacyservices.org.
- Must have valid email address, regular email access, and be comfortable using technology including Zoom
- Should be willing to learn alongside their students
- Must be available for at least one time slot on either a Monday / Wednesday or Tuesday / Thursday basis
- Must be willing to complete a MCJ background check, including fingerprinting
- Milwaukee County employees and volunteers must show proof of vaccination
|Monday / Wednesday
|Tuesday / Thursday